Determine Inside Mount or Outside Mount
Skylight shades that are inside mounted will be cut to hang entirely within the window
- We recommend inside mount whenever possible
- Neat, streamlined look
- Usually best for energy efficiency
Skylight shades that are outside mounted will hang outside the window opening, overlapping the edges
- We recommend outside mount for out-of-square windows, and for windows with minimal mounting depth or obstructions within the frame
- Minimizes light gaps, giving you better light control and privacy
Measuring for Inside Mount
Specify your exact measurements, making no deductions. The factory will apply the necessary deductions when making your product.
All corners of the window must be 90 degrees. If not, you will have to outside mount your skylight shade.
If the window is out of square by ¼"" or more, you will have to outside mount your skylight shade. To determine if your window is out of square, take both diagonal measurements, from one corner to its opposite. If the difference between the two is ¼" or more, the window is out of square.
- First, ensure that your skylight window has enough depth for mounting. Skylight window coverings usually need a minimum depth of 1 ½" to install brackets and mount the product.
- Width: Measure the top, middle and bottom of the window, from edge to edge inside the window opening. Take the narrowest measurement as your width.
- Height: Measure the left, center and right portions of the window, from edge to edge inside the window opening. Take the shortest measurement as your height.
Measuring for Outside Mount
Order your product in the exact measurements, making no deductions. The factory will make your product at exactly the size you order it.
- To outside mount skylight shades, you need at least 1" of flat surface on all sides of the window.
- Width: Measure the width of the opening at any location on the window. Add 2" per side, for a total of 4". Take this measurement as your width.
- Height: Measure the height of the opening at any location on the window. Add 2" to the top and bottom, for a total of 4". Take this measurement as your height.
Other Notes about Skylights
- Side tracks must be mounted for both inside mount and outside mount, except in cases where the shade doesn't come with side tracks.
- Side mount is not available for skylight shades.