- ‹ Window Treatments
- ‹ Skylight Shades
- Top Rated
- Price Low-High
- Price High-Low
LevolorVersatile light control for hard-to-cover skylights. Optional 10-foot control pole for high ceilings.Sale
Bella ViewModern, attractive, and easy way to cover skylights while filtering light and adding insulation. Part of a complete collection.Sale
Skylights are a great way to get more natural light in your home, but they also come with some challenges. These stunning architectural features are typically slanted or horizontal, so not all window treatments will work for them. To find a good shade for your skylight, you need to find styles that you can fix against the window frame. Some of the best options for skylights are shades or blinds.
Cellular shades are always a classic choice. These honeycombed shades fit snugly against your skylight and smoothly open or close. Another similar style is pleated shades, which have crisp folds but lack the dual layer of cellular shades. For more versatility, consider mini blinds. In addition to opening and closing, mini blinds also tilt. This lets you adjust the amount of light that comes through your skylight. Ultimately, whatever style you choose can be a great addition to your home. Skylight blinds and shades are available in many stylish colors, and they help make your house more comfortable.
Benefits of Skylight Blinds
Many homeowners leave their skylight uncovered. However, adding a window treatment provides some fantastic perks.
- Better Light Control: Tired of waking up to the sun shining on your face every morning? The right skylight shades can make a bedroom more comfortable. They can also block glare in spots like living rooms and offices.
- Improved Insulation: Skylights tend to face the sun during the hottest time of day, so they can make your home too warm. Window treatments block light, so they can keep your home cooler in summer.
- Superior Privacy: If you live next to a two-story home, your neighbors might be able to look directly inside your house! Skylight blinds can provide some much-needed privacy.
- Visual Appeal: Skylight shades can turn your ceiling into a major statement. You can choose a neutral color like white if you want your window to blend in with its surroundings. However, blinds also come in reds, blues, and other colors that beautifully accentuate your décor.
Ideas for Upgrading Skylight Shades
There are plenty of fantastic features you can add to skylight blinds and shades.
- Sky Pole: This add-on makes it easier to adjust tall windows. It's a must-have if you want to regularly adjust your window treatment.
- Liners: If you love the look of sheer treatments but need more privacy, try a privacy liner. Another helpful option is a blackout liner that helps with light control.
- Double Cell Honeycomb: When selecting cellular shades, you have the option of adding an extra layer of cells. This provides extra insulation.
Considerations When Ordering Shades for Skylights
Get the most out of your skylight blinds by paying attention to these factors before ordering.
- Don't forget about the rest of the windows in the room. For a cohesive look, select skylight shades that also have matching traditional shades.
- If your priority is insulation, some styles are better than others. Cellular shades provide the most insulation while sheer pleated shades provide the least.
- There's a chance of wider blinds sagging in the middle when they hang over a skylight. To prevent this, some shades will use a support cord that's visible from certain angles.
- If your skylight is in a hard-to-reach spot, keep in mind that certain window treatment styles might not be compatible with sky poles or motorization.
Measuring and Installing Skylight Shades
To get the best possible results, you'll need to carefully measure your skylights before ordering. Check the skylight shades product description to see how to measure your window and find the right mounting depth. Once you order your skylight window treatments, you have a few different product installation options. If you're feeling handy, you can install skylight blinds yourself. All you have to do is follow the easy instruction guide we provide with your purchase.
If you have any questions about measuring and installing skylight blinds, remember that our team is here to help. You can call 800-575-8016 to get measuring and ordering advice from the design consultants at American Blinds. In no time at all, you can be enjoying the gorgeous style of skylight shades in your own home.