How to Measure Blinds
Learn how to measure windows for blinds, shades and shutters with our user-friendly guides. Follow along with quick video tutorials, or view step-by-step written instructions.
Important Note: For all measurements, record the exact size of the window opening. Do NOT make any deductions.
- Make sure your window has enough depth for the product you have chosen (see the "Mounting Requirements" section for your product). If your window does not have sufficient depth, select another product or an outside mount.
- Measure width. For Roller Shades, Sheer Shades and Vertical Blinds, record the width at the top of the window only. For all other window coverings, record the top, middle and bottom measurements, using the smallest of the three for your width.
- Measure height at the left, middle and right sides. Use the shortest measurement of the three for Sheer Shades, Vertical Blinds and Shutters.
- Measure the width and height of the area you want your blinds to cover. Your product will be made to the exact measurements you specify. For roller shades, consider adding more width than with other products.
- Include additional height for the mounting brackets, which are up to 2 1/2" tall.
- Take note of obstructions like alarm systems, molding, doorknobs and deadbolts that might get in the way of your window covering. Some products are available with spacer blocks or extension brackets to help clear these obstructions.
View General Installation Instructions by Category
Faux Wood Blinds Shop Now
Offering the look of real wood at a lower price, faux wood blinds are a hit among window decorators. These popular blinds are moisture-resistant and work well throughout the home, especially areas of high humidity.
Dual Sheer Shades Shop Now
Dual shades consist of a single piece of fabric that has alternating stripes of sheer and light-filtering material looping continuously around a roller system, enabling you to block light or create a distinctive “zebra” pattern filtering into your room.
Roller Shades Shop Now
Versatile and effortlessly attractive, roller shades are a great choice for modern décor. With a broad spectrum of light control options, you can perfectly balance privacy with your ability to see outside, all while guarding against sunlight.
Solar Shades Shop Now
Versatile and effortlessly attractive, solar shades are a great choice for modern décor. With a broad spectrum of light control options, you can perfectly balance privacy with your ability to see outside, all while guarding against sunlight.